Cinco de Mayo is the Mexican day of celebration paying tribute to the Mexican victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The day is celebrated all over Mexico, most noticeably in the capital city of Puebla and in American cities with high populations of Mexicans. Even if there is not a noticeable Mexican population, many towns and cities have started Cinco de Mayo festivals due to the popularity of the holiday.
Many think of Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to drink (tequila, or cerveza, is the drink of choice), but most street festivals are family friendly and are great family travel deals. The celebrations take the form of street fairs, carnivals and multi-day festivals! These celebrations can really add to family travel deals in city areas by teaching children about the Mexican heritage.
The cities with notable Cinco de Mayo festivals are mostly in the west, where Mexican populations are higher. these festivals are great for family vacations, even good for babies! Some cities around the country that are not only great family travel deals (meaning they are relatively inexpensive and have activities for the entire family) but have renowned Cinco de Mayo festivals are:
- Minneapolis, Minnesota – The St. Paul’s West Side’s District de Sol is taken over for this festival, having a salsa-tasting contest, parade, sports zone, wellness village, crafts and history area. This is a premiere family travel deal for everyone in the family
- San Marco, Texas – Not only does this family travel deal include the typical food and music celebrations, but it also has a Miss Cinco de Mayo and Little Miss Cinco de Mayo pageants, a parade, a statewide menudo cook-off and a salsa/hot sauce contest
- Denver, Colorado – enjoy Mexican music, dancing and food in this 2-day long festival
- Chicago, Illinois – Douglas Park is the place to be for festivals, music, food, games, kids area and cultural displays
- Omaha, Nebraska – a crowning of a Cinco de Mayo queen makes this a family travel deal worth trekking out to Nebraska
- Phoenix, Arizona – multiple celebrations throughout the city
- Portland, Oregon – The Tom McCall Waterfront Park is littered with carnival attractions as well as Mexican food
- Reno, Nevada – 100,000 visitors came this family travel deal fun and enlightening with Mexican and Latin music, food and cultural artists
- San Antonio, Texas – The historic market square has concerts, food, music and other commemorations
- San Francisco, California – The Mission neighborhood is taken over by health screenings, all-day cultural attractions, Lucha Libre wrestlers and a Mission Dolores tour
- San Diego, California – Different areas of San Diego are participating in Cinco de Mayo celebrations; most notably the Bazaar del Mundo and Gaslamp
Don’t forget, Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and traveling to a Cinco de Mayo festival would be a great Mother’s Day gift!